mach4um

where can i find articles or papers discussing this issue

Views: 514

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

this question can not be answered in a vacuum... is the contact center in question a single function, or does it do many things? what is the business they are in? how many agents? where are they? what are the business drivers that are causing you to ask the question?

In general, a centralized infrastructure saves money and improves operations, providing both better efficiency and better effectiveness - however distributed agents and locations can provide stability and reliability against outages, provide better coverage over times zones etc.

This is a question which requires investigation and discovery.
I made a 15 year career out of building virtual call centers. I now sell technology that allowed me to finally do what I needed to so I had central command and control over schedule, monitoring, disaster recovery and administration. In my case due to industry consolidation of Cable TV companies there were many competing agendas that made virtual call centers attractive. Since Cable had serious local franchise oversight there was a reluctance to lay off a number of people in a town to allow centralization to one central location. The difficulty of consistent training needs and technology available in the early days of the effort made the virtualization a difficult management task.
Since then technology has made decentralization a non-consideration as far as reporting, monitoring, and routing. All agents can be administrated as one group whether they are working from home, in several geographically diverse locations or in one large building. On line training initiatives like what our forum leader Kathryn Jackson provides also brings those issues under control.
It is not the technology or training that presented the most difficult problems for me to resolve. What I found was a mixed blessing and curse of company structure and politics. Since I continued to have a need to support walk in customers having CSRs available to cover lunch and vacations was a big positive. Having a local manager from a different department supporting HR needs however wasn’t so good. There were numerous issues including standardization of policies and procedures that required thought and energy to keep impact from customers. This however would have been required no matter where the centralization was physically located.
My opinion then has been shaped to say that several call centers with 100 agents would be preferable to having one 500 seat call center. Centralized command and control systems are able to remain arms length while still effective. Training staff can be adequately staffed on site, but again centralized design and process development seems to be the best practice. What I believe is not a good option is to have multiple small call centers of under 25 people that are more than an hour drive apart. If you are going to get that small I believe it is much better to look at Work At Home Agents (WAHA) since you have similar training issues, but do not gain the good will of the agent like the WAHA job satisfaction provides.
The argument will continue to be specific to the company and culture that you work. Each of us can provide insight to our experience but be careful to match the situation and needs of the business in how serious the example is applied.
I've helped several clients with this, however the all current documented information I have is still under NDA. I'd be more than happy to discuss with you on my nickel.
I led an initiative many years ago at Verizon where we decided to centralize for the economies of scale that you can achieve from a single site location. Just a few of the benefits centralization provided us:

Consistency of training and easy access to the workforce to schedule training.
Consistency of operations, practices, and policies.
Feeder pool for promotions and development without relocation.
Flexibility to redirect or realign work from an overloaded team to a lighter workload team as business needs change without decreasing and increasing staffing across sites.

On the other hand, I worked for another company that hired me because of my centralization experience but could never make the decision to move forward with it.

Folks will say that a single site location is vulnerable to outages and that is why you need multiple sites. That tends to be easier said than done. At my last company with two active sites, when one failed, the flow of work was not smooth to the backup site and there is no way one site was capable of handling the work of two sites. Three sites would have been more reasonable for the overflow of a site that goes dark.

Whether centralized or decentralized, be sure to lock down your contingency plans way before you need them. When a hurricane enters the Gulf is not the time to put together the disaster recovery plan!
Kathryn,

Feel free to go to my website - www.cxogs.com. I have a whitepaper on the topic. Also, you may find good material on my Blog - which you can access through the website. If you use the material, please just add a reference within whatever you are preparing. I would appreciate it.

Bryan DiGiorgio
Round 2.
How many is too many? I wrote under the Rants & Musings section about a client of mine with 428 call centers (http://contactcenter.ning.com/forum/topics/beauty-parlor). No matter what one thinks the meaning of the word 'is' is, 428 'is' too many. Large numbers of call centers are most often the result of growth via acquisition. Rarely today does a firm decide to build out via a decentralized platform.

Now call me a cock-eyed optimist, but the business argument for centralization is very simple, not requiring committees and white papers, just a few phone calls can prove the point, or talking with the CSRs. Allow me to illustrate with an example. One large cable operator whose name starts with the letter 'C' has several large call centers serving multiple locations. I was brought in to help them figure out why their annual customer satisfaction scores were lower than those of the KGB.

Here’s what we did that so clearly defined what the causal factors were. The CSRs were given two questions, one about billing, and one about how to resolve a technical question. None of the answers we received were the same—this had nothing to do with tenure—CSRs with 18 years experience were just as wrong as new hires. We then took these same questions to some of their other call centers. Same results, only different wrong answers, and different approaches to getting the wrong answers.

Decentralized call centers will result in differences WITHIN a call center and differences AMONG call centers. No matter how good the training it will be almost impossible to get consistent and correct responses to calls. Best practices will never happen, first call resolution will disappear into a black hole, repeat calls will skyrocket, and churn will increase. Other than that, decentralization is a pretty good idea.

That’s my opinion and I’m sticking to it. Next?
Unfortunately I do not have any specific research data available (only my personal experiences and situational based preferences). However, I do have a suggestion that might be of use. You can register with Gartner (registration is free) using the link below.

http://www.gartner.com/

Once registered, they should do a search on centralized v. decentralized call centers (use this exact phrase). Several “for purchase” articles/white papers will come up (they are each in the $200 range). Below is one that I found that appears to be close.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

A Hybrid Model for Information Technology? Stick a Fork in IT

13 January 2009 | Pages: 12
Business Issues
Mark P. McDonald

CIOs face the need to reorganize IT. Issues related to centralized vs. decentralized IT sit at the heart of CIO decisions. Both options carry strengths and weaknesses that in the past have caused CIOs to swing from one model to another. CIOs are looking for ways to look decentralized to the business units ...